Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Etsy Community Support

Although I have been a member of Etsy since September, I only recently discovered the Etsy forums. One night I was having some sewing machine difficulties. I Googled my problem and hoped for a quick fix. What I got after I hit the return key in my search was way more than I could have imagined. One of the top Google results led me to a thread on an Etsy forum. Things haven't quite been the same since!

I wound up posting a thread for my problem and within moments I had advice, support, & camaraderie. I had found fellow crafters  some of who had experienced my issue and could offer advice, others who just posted a note sharing my pain!

I have found the forums to be a great place where some wonderful  people "hang out". Business advice is shared as well as personal ups & downs. The forums are the heart of the Etsy community.

The other day I stumbled upon a post that made my heart skip a beat. This was the post: Etsy member lost her son Friday  the post was written by the sister of the member. Her 5 year old son was hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk with his classmates and teacher. This thread quickly grew as fellow Etsy members posted their thoughts and prayers to send to this family. The family had set up a website to help defray funeral costs and another Etsy member took it upon themself to set up a listing of items that people could purchase and the seller would donate the proceeds to the family. 
I am offering the proceeds from the sale of my rainbow pennant/banner to Zachary's family. You can find many other items on Etsy with proceeds being donated to Zachary's family, simpy search "Zachary" under items/tags. 

4 comments:

  1. How nice of you to donate your item! You are a great member of Etsy and my sewing sista!

    Tricia
    kookyhandbags

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - after finding the forums life has not been the same. It's addicting. And everyone is so helpful if you have a problem. Wonderful community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to see people coming together and supporting each other in times of need...thanks for bringing this to our attention..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also ran into etsy quite by accident and things haven't been the same since. So sad to here about a member loosing their son. I have two young daughters and can't even imagine how horrible that would be. But it's amazing and wonderful that she has gotten so much support!

    ReplyDelete