Sunday, February 15, 2009

Web Site Find ~ Wordle

This website was mentioned on the Etsy forums (thanks Batiz Jewelry ). It's called Wordle: www.wordle.net . The site describes it as a toy for generating "word clouds" from words that you put in. Once you get there go to "create". You'll find a place where you can simply type in words or a place to enter a website (try your blog or your etsy site). 
It then creates a super cool word cloud. Here is one I got from entering the URL to my Etsy shop. It literally took seconds to suck in every word from my listings and come out with this.  You can change the font, colors, & orientation of words. How cool is this?

The words that appear bigger are words that appear frequently on my site (like?). 

I did one for my daughter. I wanted her name to be larger than the other words so I typed her name a bunch of times then put in other words to describer her.  
I printed my Etsy one out on card stock.  I am going to hang it in my crafty nook. I'll play around with Erin's, it would look really nice framed in her room. 

There are so many ways you could use this. Someone on the forum mentioned using it to make thank you cards (or you could do birthday, anniversary, or even make it personal and frame it for a super cool gift). 

The teacher in me started thinking about how much kids would love to see their words come alive by using this program. They could make a word cloud to describe themselves, a book character, or anything they are studying in any curriculum area. Think of the possibilities ~ try it and have fun! Be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you did with it. 


* Be sure to check this section of my shop for free US shipping (and reduced international) ending today!

5 comments:

  1. Wow.. that's for sharing that word bubble site! I am off checking it out and making one for myself! Love the one that you did for your shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog template, its great! Thanks for entering the drawing. Good luck:)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and the beautiful comment :) You have a nice blog too, love the flora frame.

    Rheea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift idea. I hope your daughter likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Thanks for sharing - I definitely have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete