Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Patience is Not my strong point

Little Guy Just Turned 2

It's been 3 and a half weeks since little guy started wearing his hearing aids and he is really doing great. He is totally comfortable and doesn't make any fuss about them at all. The audiologist did change them with a slightly thicker one though that doesn't sit as comfortably on his ear and flips over more often. He's great about coming over though to get them put back behind his ear.

I do have to say that I expected to hear more speech much sooner. Being patient is so difficult for me. I spoke with the audiologist who did explain that his brain has to figure out how to process these new sounds before he's able to speak them. Makes sense doesn't it? I just had no idea though.

I definitely think he's becoming more responsive to speech. He also just really starting to respond to the signing that he's learning. I love seeing him sign and he's quite pleased with himself  as well - the big knowing smile that accompanies his signs is too cute for words.

I did express to our family case coordinator that I felt a little dismayed over the fact that the caring professionals working with little guy had very little experience with children who have hearing loss. I really want to be sure his specific needs (of which I am clueless of) are being met. Our coordinator has been great and hooked us up with a woman who teaches deaf and hard of hearing children. She will begin working with Ronan very soon. She will be teaching him how to listen. I am really excited about this and she's enthusiastic about taking on our little guy.

Now I just need someone to teach me how to be patient. Maybe that's little guy's job. I know he's got a lot to say to me and he has been patiently waiting for me to get the help he needs to do just that.

So ~ whenever you're ready little one, your mama is listening.

2 comments:

  1. We as family members want everything to go well. Sometimes it is hard to step back and let things evolve. Your little guy has a new world opened up to him with the hearing aides. Watch him grow and the satisfaction you get will be rewarding. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, patience....isn't it said it's a virtue?

    I too am very impatient...all in due time. He's so young that his brain will proces so fast. You'll be listening in no time!

    ReplyDelete